Welcome to the net George.

I am often in your situation when I'm in New Hampshire with my KX3. The following is what I try to do, but I would also love advice about better ways. (BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about QRMing the net. If you can QRM the net, then someone can hear you and will relay.)

There seem to be two situations:

 (1) You can figure out when to transmit to check in.
 (2) You can't.

If you can figure out when to call, add "need relay" to your call. If someone else can hear you, they will try to relay. (The last time I tried this technique from NH, both of use were cut off from the rest of the net.)

If you can't figure it out, if you can copy someone who is checking into the net, try to call them for a relay.

One of the great joys of this net is the relaying. Relaying is how amateur radio started -- it is the Amateur Radio RELAY League after all. We never know who will be relaying from week to week. This week, Phil NS7P, in Oregon was coming in S9+ with QSB into the San Francisco Bay Area, where I live. Eric, WB9JNZ, the usual net control was about S5 and faded as the net started. (Eric and I were running 1KW+.) I heard Bill, K7BRR try to checkin from Astoria, OR at about S6 and neither Eric nor Phil could hear him. Eric could no longer hear me, so I relayed the checkin to Phil who relayed it to Eric. Great practice for emergency communications.

73 Bill AE6JV