If one presumes that everyone keeps their audio levels set correctly so they're not splattering or wide (not always the case, but presume for a moment), I've had better success with digital modes by turning the AGC OFF, so a strong signal doesn't cause a damping reaction (it won't swamp the other stations).   This has worked when another station near me (QRP) shared the band on FT8, which would have blocked anyone else (worst case).

If you monitor (listen) to the band on digital, turn your speakers down FIRST!  ;-)

Also never use noise reduction or blanking in digital, it causes distortion and may often produce ghosts in the audio (you decode them on multiple audio frequencies).

Rick nhc