Thank you Bob and Jim for the useful observations.
                         73 Doug EI2CN

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Bob McGraw K4TAX
Sent: 17 July 2018 18:11
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] FT8 and Strong Signals

Thanks Jim, K9YC, for the detailed information.  I too concur that wide
signals can more likely be the result of the waterfall adjustments, or
the system gain, which has the no signal noise level above 30 dB on the
WSJT-X bargraph indicator.  If this is the case, adjust the audio level
in the Windows application to reduce the level.

As to AGC, I run AGC on my K3S on Fast when operating FT-8. Likewise for
CW.   Thus I've found no disadvantage in having it on, and little to no
advantage in having it off.   Other than I manually have to adjust RF gain.

On that note, for the most part on 160 M, 80 M & 40 M I do run 15 dB to
10 dB of Attenuation and back the RF Gain down accordingly.  For higher
frequencies,  60 M and above, I do not use Attenuation and adjust the RF
gain accordingly.  This seems to produce optimum receiver performance.
On 6 M I do engage the preamp.

73

Bob, K4TAX

<j...@audiosystemsgroup.com> Date: 17/07/2018  18:51  (GMT+00:00) To: