Scott,
https://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/MAR-1+.pdf
gives a part layout.

My recollection is to just lay the arms down on the pads and solder them like a SMT part. Caution: Part is static sensitive.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 7/29/2018 0:26 AM, Scott wrote:
Arrgh.  Where to begin.  All was going well until "installing" U1 MAR-1
MMIC.

Initial inventory of said kit was missing U1 MAR-1 MMIC.  FWIW, there
are no part numbers and no pictures in the pdf manual.  So I emailed
parts@elecraft and they sent me E600080 MAR-1 MMIC in a plastic bag.
Upon inspection of this part during the build 2 weeks later it did not
look like a solderable part, there were no leads for the thru holes.  It
appeared to be just plastic with a raised "+" on one side and two holes
on one end.  So I emailed parts@elecraft and said there has to be a
mistake/problem and could they please check again and send the correct
part that was solderable.  I received the second E600080 MAR-1 MMIC.
Meet the new boss same as the old boss... the parts were identical. Upon
closer inspection under magnification there is a "part" located inside
the "+".  So cut it out and it is a very small black cylinder with 4
"arms" 90deg apart.  If this is the correct part then I'll send back the
first one they sent me.

But here is the problem.  The Ngen PCB Rev B (which is the PCB that I
have) has 4 "thru holes" for installing U1 MAR1 MMIC and there are no
leads from E600080 to solder it to the PCB.  There are 4 "arms" but it
is unclear to me how these "arms" are to be soldered to the board.
Unless I solder wires in the 4 thru holes in the PCB and thence to the
"arms" of E600080 I have no idea how to solder this part to the PCB. The
pdf manual does not say anything about soldering wires into the thru
holes and thence to the "arms".
http://www.elecraft.com/manual/E740057_N-Gen_Manual_Rev_D.pdf

I'm hoping someone else has built this module kit lately and figured it
out or Elecraft is going to have to give me some guidance on how to
solder this part to the board because it sure is not obvious to me.

Scott
AD5HS

Message delivered to als...@comcast.net

---