OK, I have a K2/100 (#2548) connected to a KAT100.

As of late, the KAT100 has been reluctant to turn on. I turn on the K2, and it
comes up right away, but the LEDs of the KAT100 often stay off for 20-30
seconds, then come on.

When the KAT100 finally turns on, it often isn’t tracking lo-hi power, as I can
rotate the power knob freely from <10 watts to >11 watts, and the KAT100 will
stay stuck at a power level, usually low power.

Also, if I try to change antennas, or tune, I’ll get a “not inst” message.

This situation persists for a while. If I let the rig warm up for about 15-20
minutes, I can eventually get the K2 to recognize the KAT100. I may have to
cycle the power a half dozen times.

I’ve verified with a scope that the KAT100 is getting the 12CTRL power
immediately from the K2, and the internal power on the 5V regulator comes up
immediately. It just seems to take it’s sweet time waking up.

I think the fundamental problem may be that the KAT100 isn’t responding to
AUXBUS messages at the right point in the power-up sequence, so the K2 assume
it’s not installed.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa...@arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901