I am no expert on QRO but I am in the process of building the 3CX1500D7 amp
in the 2006 handbook. I am as interested in the engineering aspects of QRO
as in the engineering aspects of QRP.

The economics of my project are getting a little out of hand so I visited
the Alpha Booth at Dayton to see what they have done with their new amp, the
9500 and was very impressed. I almost lost my mind and gave them a deposit.
Sanity prevailed. Then I remembered that Elecraft was doing an amplifier and
walked 50 feet to their booth. I spoke with Eric for a while about the
amplifiers (800 watt and 1500 watt versions). I was totally impressed with
the design and would have given Eric a deposit if he had been taking them (I
settled on a KX1 at the other end of the power spectrum).

The big amp uses 16 FET's  (not Motorola but I can't remember which ones)
and auto senses transceiver frequency. An auto tuner is included, I think.
The pricing is about 5/8ths or 5/9ths of the big Alpha. The pricing is
sufficiently low and the features sufficiently high that I will have to
seriously consider abandoning my project in favor of the Elecraft Amp. Of
course, then I will lose out on the engineering and building experience. Oh,
the Elecraft amps can be purchased assembled or in kit form. Kit form
reduces the price 400 dollars or so.

Ed Lambert, P.E.

KD3Y K2/1999 KX1/1492