Can't speak for a MAC but you should be using WSJT-X version 1.9.1.  Yes, the K3S should follow the WSJT band/frequency changes.    And when I change frequency or band on my K3S, the WSJT-X software changes frequency/band accordingly.

I use a single cable between my K3S and computer.  This is a standard USB B type cable to USB.  This cable connects to the USB port #33 as shown in the manual.  There is no connection to the RS-232 port.   In the K3S CONFIG menu RS232 is set to USB.   This configuration works with every software application which I use.    WSJT-X, FLDIGI, HRD, MMRTTY, CW DECODER, DIGIPAN, and others.  This cable handles the radio CAT commands and the RX & TX audio as required.

73

Bob, K4TAX