Bill,

Audio - If you are judging from the internal speaker, all I can say is "don't do that", the audio is not representative of what the K3 can do. Either use headphones or good quality external speakers for a good audio sound from the K3.

The K3 to K3S options will not improve the K3 audio. The new synths will improve the RX and TX phase noise (and usable sensitivity) considerably, and the KXV3B will improve the preamp selection on the higher bands. The KIO3B is more of an operating convenience IMHO by virtue of its internal USB to USB converter and the internal soundcard. Worthy of adding if you do not have RS-232 ports on your computer.

If your operation is mainly casual, you will not notice the difference, but if you are into contesting and DXing, the ability to "saddle up" to a strong station close to your operating frequency will be quite noticeable.

73,
Don W3FPR