The K3 can sound really good if one uses external speakers on the K3/K3S. If you do not have high quality (Hi-Fi) speakers that you can use with the K3/K3S, then the matching SP3 speakers are an excellent choice.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a pair of Radio Shack Minimus speakers at a 2nd hand store for $5.00 each - they do very well in my shack.

The speakers that will produce all the audio nuances that are possible are those with a wide range response, so Hi-Fi speakers qualify for that aspect. Others with a restricted audio range such as those with DSP will limit the full range audio available from the K3/K3S.

In other words, the audio response of the radio should be clearly reproduced by the speakers. The response by the small internal speaker is necessarily limited, but good wide range external speaker will deliver the sound that the radio is capable of.

73,
Don W3FPR