In the 80's I held a license for VHF/UHF only, like a novice license.
I had just taken down my 21 element UHF and 10 element VHF antennas and elevation rotator for satellite work and replaced them with a 4*10 element yagi array for 2m dx. Tuned around the ssb part of the 2m-band and heard.... nothing. Humm..So i tuned to the satellite band and clearly could copy DP0GVN , the german antarctic station, on amsat oscar 10 satellite. WHAAAT? I hooked up what was left from my UHF antenna, i think it was 9 or 10 elements, reflector and radiator included. Held it out the shack window and aimed roughly in the same direction where the 2m antenna was pointing....and made the contact. I recall the op on the other end saying something like "Guys, you got to hear this. This weirdo holds his antenna in his hand". Can i claim a /portable satellite contact?

--

Ohne CW ist es nur CB..

73, Martin DM4iM