From my AM broadcast days and my pro audio days, yes it is not unusual to find that a given mike has more positive output than negative output in terms of the voltage waveform.  Thus if phased correctly, and we are only using one mike, the positive modulation peaks will be greater than the negative modulation peaks.  There is advantage to this with regard to AM stations.    At the same time, when multiple mikes are used then they all must be "in phase" in order to prevent a comb effect of frequency cancellation.  It is standard convention that a positive pressure on the mike diaphragm, then amplified to the speaker system causes the cone of the speaker to move forward or compress the air into the room.  Positive pressure thus causes positive pressure.   Some audiophiles claim they can hear the difference.   The jury is still out on that point.

From a SSB point of view, it starts basically a modulated carrier, i.e. AM, which then has the carrier suppressed by the balanced modulator, and then one sideband removed by passing the DSB signal through a sharp and steep side filter to produce SSB.   Hence, then one can theoretically attain more positive modulation than negative.   Don't confuse amplitude energy with frequency spectrum energy.    At the same time, in a SSB transmitter, excessive audio can over modulate the carrier, before carrier suppression and before the sideband filter, and the same effect as over modulating an AM transmitter will exist.  Distortion and splatter.    Look at the opposite sideband of a signal on the air while using a SDR or spectrum display.  Clearly some signals will show these artifacts while others do not exhibit the artifact.

Final rule, except in a SSB transmitter the positive output is limited by the available capacity of the amplification stages which must remain linear.  In the SSB world,  maximum PEP value capability is the ceiling.  On the other hand, in an AM transmitter, the modulation must be limited to 100% negative so as not to cut the carrier, but can be allowed to exceed 100% positive, in fact upwards of 125% to 135% is quite normal, as long as the transmitter is capable of handling the increased positive peaks without distortion.   Makes for "loud" AM stations.  And of course there are "processors" which control the negative going values while enhancing the level of the positive going values in order to enhance the modulation.   Of course if the hams AM transmitter is not capable of 135% positive modulation, splatter and distortion would be generated making for unfriendly neighbors near the frequency.

Oh my, this is a lot more than I care to recall.

73
Bob, K4TAX