Yes, it's long been well known that real audio waveforms are asymmetrical. WAY back in the '50s, AM broadcasters used a device that constantly monitored the waveform and constantly flipped the polarity to keep the hottest peak so that it increased instantaneous TX power.  That's because with AM, distortion is created at carrier cutoff.  I remember building a negative peak clipper circuit back in the '50s.

Here's an AES paper by R A Greiner (and probably one of his EE students) that studied the audibility of absolute polarity (that is, the same polarity in the playback system as in the recording system). http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=6950 Several recording and sound engineers who were members of a professional organization called SynAudCon demonstrated that they could accurately tell by listening whether the polarity of a system was correct.

Note that we're NOT talking about polarity difference between channels of a stereo recording.

73, Jim K9YC