Andy,

The PL259 to SO239 connector "end face" contact is provided only by pressure - it is not a sliding contact as you would find in a BNC or an N connector. The pressure is provided only by the tightening of the threaded portion of the PL259.

I ask you - just how much resistance can be expected if you just touch two ends of wires together without further positive contact?

The "insulating spacer" is any oxidation on either the SO239 or the PL259. That is why I like silver plated UHF connectors. They may look a bit corroded, but the silver oxide is conductive even though it can appear brown or black. If you are shopping for UHF connectors at hamfests, avoid all those nickel-plated ones that a not Amphenol, but flock to those that are oxidized, and silver plated with Mil Spec designations on them.

73,
Don W3FPR