From: "Dr. William J. Schmidt" <b...@wjschmidt.com>
To: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 3:29:41 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] loss of RX sensitivity

[[The next time someone challenges me on why I only use BNC and Type N
connectors, I’m going to send them this entire discussion.]]

Unfortunately this is not perfect either. If you use an "N" connector on long
runs of heliax in a cold climate, you must be aware that the coefficients of
expansion of the center conductor and the shield can be different... and on
several occasions, I have seen the center pin pull back from the connector (and
essentially disconnect) because the center conductor contracted more than the
shield. Nb. This does not happen with all "N" connectors. This is less of a
problem with BNC connectors because the coax used is generally has a somewhat
flexible shield.

---
https://www.avg.com

Message delivered to donov...@starpower.net