While I use both WSJT-X, V1.9.1,  and HRD, I allow WSJT to create and save its own log.  Then I transfer the entries from the WSJT log to my other log system.  That then uploads the selected entries to LOTW.    I've more often than not found that if I allow one software to run within or under another software, there's just two many cooks in the kitchen tasting the pot.     In other words, I run WSJT as a stand a lone application and do not have any conflicts.  The operating system is a current version of Windows 10 with all of their updates.

As suggestions, I would open WSJT as a stand a lone and see if it connects to the rig and operates correctly.   Then close WSJT and open HRD using one of its modes, i.e. PSK-31, and see if it operates correctly.    If so on both, and mine does, then there is no specific issue with either application or the computer or the radio.   I use the USB communication with my K3S.  Then with both applications running I find is the area where the hand shake is supported to occur but indeed a fist fight breaks out.   That says HRD will need to be update in order for Windows 10 to handle the activity.  The bottom line, when Microsoft updates Windows 10, all other application software is likely in need of an update as well.

Good luck in resolving the issue.

73

Bob, K4TAX