While thousands may use VOX, at least thousands use PTT.  One reason is that sound cards are rarely response flat, so the levels will change according to the frequency of the tone.  This means that the VOX may/not be activated by the current tone or may not hold if on the edge of the required level.  If you never change the frequency of the tones (as in point and click PSK or by using FT8 in DXpedition/split mode) it may not be an issue for you.  I've found it to be less reliable than PTT.

I rarely use VOX at all (except on CW for full break in), if only to keep background noises (other radios for example) from making it complicated.

Software PTT is not flaky.  That is insulting to both the software authors and those that designed the radio to accept the PTT command.  In point of fact, it's more reliable than VOX has been because it isn't level driven, just simply on or off.

The issues you may have had with PTT could be the virtual ports often in play, it's a wonder those work at all.  I use real serial ports, no sharing, using the KISS principle and have never had a software PTT issue.  I also find real serial ports less RF sensitive (FAR easier to shield), therefore more reliable than USB which often locks up in the presence of strong RF.

Rick nhc