And if all of this fails look for a blown HPA.

Wes  N7WS

On 10/10/2018 8:29 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
Gary,

If you just plugged in the MH4 and turned on bias, then I suggest that may be the cause of the problem. Assuming you had the K3 set for the low output Heil microphone, you should change the MIC SEL menu to FP.L bias.  If you have MIC SEL still set for FP.H, you may be overdriving the mic preamp. The MH2 has a high output level, so you need only low gain in the K3.

Then initially set the compression to 0 and set the MIC GAIN to produce 5 to 7 bars on the ALC meter while speaking into the microphone in a normal voice.

Once that is done, set the compression to a moderate level of your choice.

As Bob K4TAX has pointed out and K9YC has long advocated, set the lower 2 bands of TX EQ to the lowest levels and set the 3rd band down a bit as well - that will increase your "talk power" while not wasting power trying to transmit those low frequencies which are not needed for intelligibility.  If you are into ESSB, you may differ, but ham radio is not HI-FI in my opinion, it is about communications effectiveness.

73,
Don W3FPR