-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Gary Smith
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 1:11 PM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Retiring my MK-II

> I know I'm going to lose two things: The Winkeyer, and true FSK RTTY.

# Perhaps not, I use the marvelous
Win4K3Suite which with com0com gives me
com ports aplenty to use MMTTY, N1MM,
WSJT-X and Logic 9 all running at the same
time.

[pjd] I do plan to purchase Win4K3 eventually.

# I check off the Winkey box in the N1MM
setup and use the USB winkey. I'm assuming you don't have the USB
version. maybe there's a mod to add USB to
your unit?

[pjd] I don't own a stand-alone Winkeyer. I own the MicroHam Microkeyer-II,
has a Winkeyer built-in, and it's that device that I want to retire.

# With RTTY, I use N1MM and run the MMTTY
digital window with the K3 set to AFSK A
and it works beautifully. When not using
RTTY I set the radio to DATA A for WSJT-X

Flawless.

[pjd] That's good to know. I will be using both RTTY and FT-8. For RTTY, the
need is to have left audio/control for VFO-A and right for VFO-B, which is
how I have it set now. Receive shouldn't change, I don't imagine, but I'm
not sure how to transmit RTTY on the K3s without the Microkeyer-II. And as
another posted mentioned, sequencing .WAV files in N1MM and WinWarbler is an
extremely high priority.

There are two issues at play for me. One is a complex hardware setup that
can easily allow the ingress of RFI into the audio chain, and that makes
physical reconnection of the radio a real chore after I have to take it out
for whatever reason. Connections that are fragile, wires that can't be
dressed correctly because of length due to the arrangement of my radio desk
and so on. The other side of the equation, and I think I may be fearing this
even more, is the need to replace all sorts of hardware and cables with a
maze of even more impenetrable software. As anybody who knows me knows, I
*detest* software solutions since it's so easy for any one app to break when
Windows 10 veers off in another direction.

So basically, what it boils down to is this: Can I transmit and receive CW,
SSB, two-VFO RTTY, FT-8 and other digimodes, .WAV file sequencing, firmware
uploads, and CAT control to/from the K3s using mostly just the single USB
cable and the physical connection to my paddles? I want to implement a KISS
solution **IF** it can be done. Otherwise I'll just keep the MK-II in line
since it's a known-valid configuration, albeit one I don't particularly like
(no offense, Joe).

73,

Gary
KA1J