On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 12:32 PM Bob McGraw K4TAX <rmcg...@blomand.net>
wrote:

> I basically do the same with different radios.   The K3S is connected to
> the KAT500 and then through the KPAK3AUX cable to the KPA500.   The
> other radio has a Amp Key output basically an open collector to ground
> which I connect to the PA Key input.

That's a very convenient way to do it, but connecting the radio directly to
PA KEY on the KPA500 bypasses an important safety feature of the KAT500,
which is designed to OPEN the PA KEY line while it is tuning. So I'd
recommend connecting the other radio's Amp Key output to the PTT RLY (in)
connector of the KAT500, and the PTT RLY (out) of the KAT500 to the KPA500
PA KEY.  This places the KAT500 in SERIES between the transceiver's KEY OUT
and the KPA500's KEY IN.

This is well documented in Figures 2, 3, and 4 in the KAT500 Owner's Manual
<ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/KAT500/Manuals%20Downloads/E740183%20KAT500%20Owner's%20Manual-%20Rev%20C6.pdf>
.

73,
Bob, N6TV