Thanks very much for all of the helpful and knowledgeable advice!  I will do
more reading in my Elecraft manuals and Cady books and adjust accordingly.
This is a wonderful reflector!
The one additional complicating factor for me is that there are so many
interfering objects close to my SteppIR beam and low (40 foot) tower that the
antenna impedance changes pretty significantly as I rotate the beam.  So a
perfect solution (probably beyond my meager abilities) would require me to
train my KAT-500 to recognize and adjust for various frequencies AND antenna
headings.
Thanks again -
Rich, K1DJ

Sent from my iPad