The ATU in the K3, which should work exactly like the one in the KPA1500, seems to consistently find a very good match, at least on the lower bands where the L/C resolution is very good. Why the KPA1500 often fails to find such a good match is a mystery to me. The only difference should be the power handling capacity of the components. This would affect strays, but I wouldn't expect them to be significant on 20 meters and below.

73,
Scott K9MA