From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Don Wilhelm
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2018 9:56 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [K3] SWR - Numerical Indication

Petr and all,

Those digital instruments that show 2, 3, or 4 decimal places have given us
a false sense of accuracy.
For instance an instrument that is accurate to 5% and has a 4 digit display
can show us (when measuring a 5 volt source) anywhere between
4.750 volts and 5.250 volts and still be within the 5% accuracy window for
the instrument.

Review the specs and calibration for whatever meter you are using and do not
expect those extra digits to be correct - in other words round the numbers
displayed.

Many wattmeters are only accurate to 20% of the reading - so if one
wattmeter at 100 watts shows 120 watts and another shows 80 watts, the
actual power could be 100 watts.  Take that into consideration.

The Telepost LP-100 when calibrated to NIST standards is accurate to 5% (it
can be lower, but Larry will not guarantee it).  So any power it displays
between 95 and 105 watts can actually be 100 watts.

In other words, look at the specified accuracy of whatever meter you are
using and take that into consideration.  Those extra digits on your meter
may be meaningless.

73,
Don W3FPR