Rich . . .

Don't flagellate yourself too much.  One of our 6-meter ops blew his K3's finals on Field day a few years ago by inadvertently tapping the ANT button instead of the ATU TUNE button which is directly above it.  Background noise on 50 MHz. being noticeably lower than on HF, he was unaware he was transmitting on Antenna 2 (which had no antenna) and after calling CQ for 15 minutes at 100 watts his finals went to heaven.

He now hooks up a dummy load on ANT 2 when using only one antenna.

This is an important "gotcha" of which all K3 owners should be cognizant, especially when non-K3 owners are operating the rig.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV