It doesn't sound like you have a clue how WELL they work, though, relative to not using one at all or using one that has verified specs.  Lots of stuff "works" but doesn't work as well as it should.  Personally, I don't see the merit in preferring not to know, and it's a good thing for the rest of us that there are hams out there who have over the last hundred years tried to put science into our hobby.

Dave   AB7E