Hi Don,

Sounds like you're not up to speed on 21st century sheet metal fabrication.

Small volume parts like this would be cut on a laser and bent with a CNC press
brake. The only setup is loading the programs and there is no tooling. If
someone draws the parts using a CAD program like Solid Edge, the resulting 3D
models can be utilized directly by the vendor. Even small job shops have laser
cutting ability, especially for small gauge material like this.

Hard tooling would only be used in high volume (thousands at least) for a very
cost sensitive project.

I'm not familiar with methods prior to the '80s, but even back then this would
be done on a turret punch press. You'd only need tools for oddball shapes the
vendor didn't have, and those are fairly inexpensive. For small runs you'd have
the setup time of loading tools into the turret, but as noted, that no longer
exists.

73,
Josh W6XU

Sent from my mobile device