Phil,

Right you are!

My email is sorted automatically when it is received (I use Thunderbird although other email clients have similar capability). I put it into separate folders with the filters based on something in the subject line. For instance, I use a filter to place all email containing [Elecraft] into my Elecraft folder - that gets it out of my Inbox and into a folder that could be considered as my own "Elecraft Digest". I can then read the posts one at a time and delete those not of interest, reply to those I want to comment on, or save for future reference. Then I can do a SEARCH if I want to see posts referencing a particular topic (or individual).
It gives me a lot of flexibility.

Once a year or so, I trim off all posts older than a year old so the folder does not get too big. I figure if I have not needed anything in over a year, I can delete it.

The filtering and searching tools provided by modern email clients give one a lot of capability. It takes a bit of thought to set it up, but makes email quite sane and manageable once set up for your needs and desires.

Down with the bulletin boards, I can't find anything of value in those!
Nabble is almost as bad, and I don't use it unless I get a link of interest, but even then I usually don't find anything valuable there.

73,
Don W3FPR