I've been using JT since its advent in early 2000's (I began with JT44 in 2003 using my HB psk-31 computer interface).

I only had 110w on 2m using a MOT repeater PA so lucky to get 80w to antennas. But I was using four 10-element yagis, which was considered minimum for CW eme in 1998 if using 600w. JT modes allowed me to make contacts with a 10-dB weaker signal.

I was at about the bare minimum of ERP for doing eme back then. About 2007 I started running 600w with an 8877 powered by HVPS of an old Swan HF amp that ran 2500v at 400ma. About 2011 I upgraded to a 4kV 750ma PS to run 1500w, which produced a big signal using my array on JT65. It took 55w drive to reach that.

Just finishing a new sspa from W6PQL that will run about 1200w that requires 2w drive and using a 50v PS. I installed a 30w 10-dB attenuator so my 20w 2m transverter could run full power.

But the main issue is that one uses the RF power needed to make the contact. I understand that FT8 is less sensitive than JT65, about -24 vs -28 dB.

I may try it on 6m where I have 1kW and two 7-element yagis (not quite yet QRV - rotator issues).

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com