Re:  "...what is the old dual air coil Heathkit B-1balun, a current or voltage
type?  If I remember correctly, they are 4:1 ratio."

From the Heathkit manual:  "The Heathkit Balun Coil Set, Model B-1 is a
convenient transmitter accessory which has the capability of matching
unbalanced coax lines, used on most modern transmitters, to balanced lines to
either 75 ohms or 300 ohms impedance".

The manual discusses its use with a dipole (~75 ohms) or a folded dipole (~300
ohms), and the analogy of using a line transmission line to get the desired
impedance transformation.  It is a very short but interesting read.

The assembly manual shows how to wire it in 1:1 or 4:1 configurations.  The
schematic is identical to the Elecraft BL2 , except it uses air core coils
instead of ferrite coils, and there is no switch to easily change between
impedance ratios.

I have never used my BL-2, so I cannot vouch for its effectiveness.  I have
often wondered if it might be compromised by the 2 bifilar wound
"non-self-shielding" air core coils tightly packed into a metal enclosure
resulting in enough capacitance or magnetic coupling to each other and the
enclosure to reduce its effectiveness.

I do, however, open it up occasionally and admire those beautiful inductors!

Mark
KE6BB

null