I think we're confused here about the meaning the words "feedpoint impedance." It is the impedance of THE ANTENNA at the point where the feedline is attached, and it is determined entirely by the antenna, INCLUDING the common mode circuit of the feedline. That common mode circuit consists of the feedline, any chokes and matching elements, and whatever it is connected to in the shack. The ONLY contribution of the feedline to this is as a common mode element, and in the common mode circuit it looks like a wire connected between the feedpoint and the shack.

We add one or more common mode chokes to minimize the effect if the common mode circuit, which is radiation and reception, and to do that, a very good choke must be AT THE FEEDPOINT. I don't know of a way to EFFECTIVELY choke a feedline that is not matched to the antenna. Yes, you can put something there, but if it did anything useful it would fry (unless yo only ran QRP to the antena), and a choke that wouldn't fry with TX power won't do anything useful!

A few other  points:  1) the SWR on a feedline is established BY THE ANTENNA, not the transmitter or antenna tuner; 2) feeding an antenna with two-wire line does NOT make it balanced -- most practical antennas that we think of as balanced are often un-balanced by their surroundings -- ground slope, variations in the soil under them, trees, wiring in buildings, unequal height ; 3) off-center-fed antennas are inherently unbalanced.

73, Jim K9YC