For HF, I doubt that many (if any) dipoles are fully balanced. On higher frequencies (VHF), the antenna can be far enough away from other objects and the ground that it could be considered unaffected by the environment.  But a 40m dipole at 40 feet is less than a half wave from the ground and other objects so i doubt that it is not influenced by it's unbalanced surroundings.  Heck, even the grass is greener on one side than the other (more moisture.)

Does it make a difference in operational abilities?  Probably not.   Sure it might be 3 db better to the north than to the south, but with 6 or 10 db fading, that will never be noticed.

Just my opinion.

Ken WA8JXM