I have experienced issues where a computer and the application software left fragments of data in the radio.  Not specific to the KX2 but could be.   From your description it seems the radio was in FSK mode.  That performs as you described which is a function of APF.

I have found in most cases it is best to close the software application before turning off the radio.  Then turn off the radio and then shut down the power supply, then shut down the computer. Power up in the reverse sequence; computer completely booted, power supply on, turn on the radio, then load / open the application software.

One other issue which has been shown to leave corrupt data in the radio is when the power supply is shut down before the radio is turned off.   The radio has no chance to save any recent data or configuration.  Always turn off the radio first and then the power supply.

73

Bob, K4TAX