Don't forget about the length of the ground conductor as well. I've seen and found more than one instance where the ground conductor was a 1/4 wavelength on the band which caused RFI in the station.   That puts the station at 1/4 wave or a maximum voltage point above ground.  It was acting like a receiving antenna in the presence of the transmitted RF.    For that reason, I do not use an external ground on my station equipment.  It is not needed.

73

Bob, K4TAX