Harvey,

Re-check the VCO range (voltage on the left end of R30), and be certain all
the ands fall within the proper range.  It is normal for the VCO voltage to
become so small below 5300 kHz that the tuning will not continue on down to
5000 Hz.  Also the response of the bandpass filter may fall off quite a bit
at 5000 Hz which will reduce the ability to hear at that frequency.

I cannot speak to your 'buzz-saw' - you will have to be more specific.

73,
Don W3FPR