Do not trust PL-259 connectors installed only "finger tight". Today many of those PL-259 connectors "look good" but are really poor quality connectors.    ALWAYS snug the PL-259's with a pair of 4" channel lock pliers.   You'd be amazed how many strange issues will go away.

Not saying this is or was the cause of failure, but I've seen it and experienced it too many times.

Also, for other reasons, I run the ALC from my KPA500 to my K3S.   Again, another issue of concern resolved.

73

Bob, K4TAX