Drew and all,

I have changed the subject line to something more akin to the current discussion.

Have you considered adding a coax switch? Turning to switch to an open position (or better yet to a dummy load) when the radio is not in use will provide protection and is a lot easier than removing the connectors.

73,
Don W3FPR