For what it’s worth, metric units outside of the US are often spelled
differently.  For example, “litre” rather than the US-spelt “liter”, or
“kilometre” rather than the US term “kilometer”.

A “meter” is a device on an instrument panel!  This is likely a UK or European
holdover.

Similarly, in Canada, when talking about a “center” (US), we write it as
“centre”.

A “centre” is a place or an institution, for example a community centre, or a
university research centre.  “Center” means the middle of something, like the
center of a photograph or the center of a line.

Just my two cents on this off-topic but interesting discussion!

73,

Kevin
VE7ZD