I am not sure how a second antenna effects the amplifier, I believe that the K3(S) has a safeguard from some overload conditions. If your RX antenna is close to your TX and you run HP, I would protect your transceiver from overload by either shorting the RX feedline during TX or with a protector such as this one: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-rg-5000

John KK9A

PETER DOUGHERTY W2IRT wrote:

Hi folks,
FOUND THE PROBLEM....Maybe??

I have a 30 foot vertical ground-plane style antenna that I use for diversity RX on 40 and 80, which was connected to the AUX antenna port. This was being overloaded by the QRO power from the TX antenna feedpoints just a few feet laterally and 40-50' higher vertically. As soon as I disconnected this antenna the problem went away.

NOTE that the problem only occurred on the lower CW portions of both 80 *and 40*, as I found out tonight. In the SSB sections, even on CW transmit, there were no problems. But as I said, disconnecting the diversity AUX antenna solved the High SWR amp fault.

So now, the big question, is there some form of filtering within the K3s to disable receive on the AUX line during transmit, or do I have to look into a second "front end protector" device as I have on my K9AY loop connected to the RX IN port. Or perhaps some other valid solution?

At least I'm glad I finally have full operation back on 40 and 80!