I have always thought the K3 did it backwards.
Before the K3 I had a transceiver and a seperate RX above it.
The Receiver listened to the DX station and the Transceiver would tune to
find who was working him at the moment. Then the pounce!
So with the K3 I don't use the SPLIT button. I use the Sub on the DX
station and I lock it and then I use the transceiver knob to find the guys
working split. If you have a P3 attached you can see it and the P3 will put
you there instantaneously.

I think that's a better way to work split. Would love to hear from those
that agree or disagree.

Sincerely Bill N2WL