How are you doing the calibration - manual or computer? If computer, PC or Mac?
Make sure you have the latest K3 Utility to do this. Recent versions of the K3
Utility had an issue with handling responses from the K3/K3S that caused
calibration to fail. I believe they were fixed on the Windows version, but I
don’t think that has been taken care of on the Mac yet.
I will have to check to make sure.

Repeating the process is worth while. My own experience is that it will
eventually complete.

73!
Jack, W6FB