Hi Gary,

I haven’t seen that problem unless the SWR was at least 1.4:1. However, it’s
possible you have hit just the wrong phase angle.  If your 1.2 SWR resulted in
a load impedance of 42 Ohms, the current could go up 20 percent. On the other
hand, 55 A into 50 Ohms sounds a bit high. Make sure the voltage isn’t dropping
more than a couple Volts.

73,
Scott K9MA

Scott Ellington