My main radio is an IC-7610. Nice screen, spectrum display built in. Cost effective for what you get. However, I miss my K3. There some things that other radios just can't seem to do as well. Right now, my next radio purchase will be the K4 - when ever that is. I'm convinced it will happen. It is just a matter of time. The K3 is very dated. All the major manufacturers now all have 7" color touch screens and real-time spectrum displays. Performance has improved greatly all around. Something that has happened as a result of the K3 setting a high bar.

So - is the K4 in the planning stages? No one outside of Elecraft can answer that. But the odds are very high that it is. Elecraft has to compete and the competition has set a new bar. The K3s is only going to go so far while the market takes such a dramatic nee direction.

The K3s is not so different from the K3 and it was easy to upgrade the K3 to the full equivalent of the K3s. Any potential K4 is going to be very much like the K3s with the P3 integrated into a somewhat larger box. Being already at or near to the top of the performance list, a K4 is going to be more about aesthetics than performance. With this in mind, a K3s and a P3 will do anything any potential K4 will do. So it can be a tough decision. Wait or don't wait. The K3s will not disappoint.

But, my special ham radio savings account is still growing as I wait patiently for the K4. I just hope it won't be too long. Eric... Can I put a deposit down now? (Just kidding...)

Doug -- KJ0F