I’ve read a lot of interesting ideas relating mostly to features. Here are some
cutting (or should I say bleeding) edge ideas.

The most radical would be to eliminate linear amplification on transmit.
Instead, go with a class E design and in DSP generate EER compatible signals.
This is how very high powered commercial transmitters do SSB but any waveform
can be generated that way. Efficiency goes to nearly 90% as opposed to less
than 50% for a linear. IMD can be lower than -80 db while power consumption is
reduced and there is less heat to remove. This would be a radical departure
from the competition and work well in portable operation.

Bluetooth audio in and out.

As previously discussed, a built in webserver that is compatible with all
devices adhering to HTML standards along with SNMP compatibility.

And, of course, the well discussed touchscreen.