From: "Wayne Burdick" <n...@elecraft.com>
To: "Dr. William J. Schmidt" <b...@wjschmidt.com>
Cc: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: 4/7/2019 12:32:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] BIZARRE OFFERING FROM MFJ

 On Apr 7, 2019, at 9:15 AM, Dr. William J. Schmidt <b...@wjschmidt.com> wrote:

 There isn't really much in the way of smarts on the clone board.  It's simply
the tuner elements (coils and capacitors), a few relays, the relay driver
chips, and gas tubes.  The actual tuning smarts comes from elsewhere within the
K3.  This isn’t much of a stretch for a clone.

That's correct. The heart of any binary-weighted L-network ATU is in the
firmware, which we've been improving since I first wrote the code for the KAT2.
The latest incarnation of this code is in the KAT1500, the ATU included in the
KPA1500 amp. My colleague K6KR has done a great job of tweaking the algorithm
to eek out that last tenth of an SWR unit on every match.

Wayne
N6KR