Tonight I attended a presentation by Ned Stearns AA7A on the Dxpedition version
of FT8, and his extensive architectural design contributions to the Baker
Island operation as well as his input to Joe Taylor's work on the protocol.
While most of us don't need anything like the Baker station setup, the
technical issues may nevertheless influence the direction and needs of the
overall amateur gear market. With Elecraft's emphasis on supporting Dxpeditions
I am sure that they look at such issues when considering new features for the
K4 etc. Just a few points from the presentation that stuck in my mind:
* The radio transmit frequency must be controlled by both the logger and the JT
software, which work together but are separate. I have no personal experience
with FT8, but I understand that (either with the current version or very soon)
the DX hunter's transmit frequency will be dictated automatically on the fly by
the DX starion, within a segment of the overall FT8 frequency window, such that
the DX can overlap several FT8 qso's in time. This necessitates working around
the basic "single sender" RS-232 signalling scheme. Ways to do this were
recently discussed here, and need not be repeated. My point: Elecraft might
consider an attempt to standardize a new communication scheme for station
control, such as to simplify the whole setup. Wiring a station is already
disturbimgly complicated where multiple radios are involved.
* The DX station would thus go beyond "SO2R" to something more like "SO4R". The
FLEX approach already seems to have an edge in savings on mulit-radio hardware;
a market-leading Elecraft architecture might optimize overall hardware cost
when one operator is to use 2,3 or 4 virtual radios. Just hope it can be done
so modularly that a small configuration is still affordable.
* With the current interest in FT8, there seems to be pressure for the hardware
to have capability to process a frequency segment that is larger than an SSB
bandwidth.
73,
Erik K7TV