Sorry for the additional email, but this is particularly interesting: it
occurred to me that I'd never tried the reverse setup, so I put the KX3 in
transmit mode and 0.1W on AM in another room, and set the K3S on receive.
And sure enough, the K3S immediately started picking up S40 of buzzing
noise.  However if I tune the K3S to an AM broadcast station or WWV, no
buzz. So either both the K3S and KX3 are being affected on transmit in the
same way (which seems implausible but not impossible), or possibly
something else is going on at my QTH.

On the P3, I definitely see the noise when the KX3 is transmitting from the
other room.

Now I wish I had a scope so I could see what the AM carrier generated by
the KX3 and K3S looks like so I could tell if this is something that's
happening inside the transmitter, or something that is happening because of
some outside influence mixing powerline noise with the AM carrier.  The
important thing to me is that the carrier I'm putting out there is clean...
if there's some local mixing that happens that means I can't listen to my
own transmission without a buzz, I can live with that.

One kind of curious thing is that there's also a superimposed "squeaky
wheel" sound at random intervals detectable when the KX3 is transmitting an
AM carrier, and not otherwise, and also not when listening to WWV or AM
broadcast, which vaguely seems to correlate with how windy it is at any
given moment.  Could all of this be a "rusty bolt" effect from something in
the vicinity?

   Nick