I could have ten receivers and if all the callers are in my skip zone I wouldn't hear them either.

One other thing that I didn't mention, but should be obvious, although many callers ignore it, LISTEN to instructions. (Unfortunately too many expeditions these days fail to give them---or their callsigns---often enough, assuming I suppose that everyone is using spotting networks to figure this out.)

Listening example:  I don't remember the expedition location but do remember one of the participants was the banquet speaker at Visalia in 2002, where he coincidentally mentioned this very thing.  He was working a pileup on 20-meter SSB on 14.195 and announced "Listening up 5 to 10..... and 14.190".  I called on 14.190 on worked him on the first call while the other thousand guys battled up 5 to 10.

Wes  N7WS