Hey Folks...

I have noticed 2 unusual issues with my recently installed K144XV.  I bought it
used from a list member and installed it a few months ago.  It seems to work ok
but after some extended use (which recently begun) it is does 2 things: after
it has been in use (even just monitoring) for local FM repeater work, the
S-Meter on the K3S starts to read lower and lower (by as much as 3 S-Units) for
the same repeater signal; and 2 - the audio becomes a little distorted on
stronger signals (the ATT makes no difference in the audio distortion).

The audio happens almost immediately after turning up the rig, but the signal
"weakening" takes 10 to 15 minutes of the transverter being active (active band
on K3S).  It will occur faster it is being used (transmitting).  I have it set
to very low power (display reads -6db), and it will still show "weakening" on
the S-Meter during reception after using it.  I noticed it fist doing some
longer packet transmissions, but it will also happen after a period of time of
just listening.

The audio distortion is not as noticeable on signals below S-9, but listening
in headphones will reveal the distortion is still there.

The K3S currently has the standard TXCO installed and no reference lock on the
K144XV.  The 13khz filter is installed in the main receiver.  I have no
external reference board installed in the K3S.  I have ordered the higher
stability TXCO for the K3S and the K144XV reference lock, but have not received
them yet from Elecraft.

The audio on HF is OK and the S-Meter does not seem to "weaken" in a similar
fashion when monitoring strong net signals over time.

Any ideas?

Hank
K4HYJ
K3S, P3, KX3