This is good advice. I have installed Powerpole plugs without the crimper however the crimper is a nice tool to have. You can purchase custom cables already made from Powerwerx of you don't wish to make them. The 30 amp plug is adequate however the 45 amp plug will allow using a larger conductor. To minimize voltage drop you should use a very large cable, I use 8 awg when my power supply is set up on the floor.

John KK9A

George Thornton wrote:

Are you replacing the connector that plugs into the K3 or are you replacing the part built in to the K3?

If the part that is built into the K3, I would strongly suggest getting the part direct from Elecraft. These have to be securely mounted within the radio.

If the part that connects, note the following:

PowerPole connectors come in sizes according to the current amperage required for the particular circuit.

Anderson PowerPoles consist both of the red and black housing and the crimp connectors for the wires.

The housing size used in the K3 is the standard size that will fit both 15, 30 and 45 amp crimp connectors. You choose the connector that fits the particular wire size. 30 amp capacity circuits are adequate to power the K3 and should be used.

Unless you purchase pre-assembled connectors you will also need a crimp tool to crimp the connectors to the wires. There is also a small learning curve on how to crimp and insert the crimped wires into the housings.

I would get the parts you need from a company such as Powerwerx. They can help with any connections.