Steve,

If the problem is that you just don't want to change out the MAX1406, there are 2 unused TX/RX sections in the implementation in the KIO2. You just need to cut the traces to the in and out pins used and wire to another pair of pins.

OTOH, just replacing the MAX1406 may be just as easy.

73,
Don W3FPR