My K2 #771 has a KIO2 that has no serial data output.

This appears to be due to a problem ... in the other direction.

I can see my inbound ASCII commands (e.g., FA;) at pin 6 of U1 on the KIO2
board.

However, the MAX1406 shows only rail at the corresponding TTL side.

I presume the MAX1406 has popped ...

It would be great if I could see if it worked "the other way" in other
words, if the K2 could somehow be made to send at least something out the
TX port without being prompted.

As you can see, because the KIO2 appears to not be able to send the
received data to the main MCU, I can't get the MCU to speak.

All other radio features operate perfectly.  #771 will be 20 years old this
December.

Any ideas?  Other than the obvious 'replace the MAX chip and see what
happens.'

Steve KZ1X